Special Notifications from Tali's Kitchen

Have a great weekend...Have a great weekend...

Thursday, April 1, 2010

It's Pancake Time


Hi All,
Sunday Morning, the kids are getting up, playing, watching TV and then I hear … Mommy? I am hungry.
The fact that he already got 3 cookies, a sandwich and some cereal apparently didn’t make any difference.

So we have 2 options:
1.       Go to a local IHop and get some breakfast    
2.        Make it home and save the trip and money (and  also keep Ely busy as long as possible)

Its Pancake time … the minute the word Pancake is mentioned; I see the Tomas chair being dragged from his room into the kitchen and I hear little voice giving me instructions…
I know it’s easier to just go to a local IHop and save all the mess, but seeing you kids enjoy making and eating their food – worth it!

This recipe has the best results; it’s an adaptation from Martha Stewart with some minor changes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs, separated
3 cups buttermilk** (I didn’t have buttermilk so I made one from Milk and vinegar, you can see how to make it on the side bar)

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients and set aside.
Mix the buttermilk and egg yolks until combined and add the flour mix to it, stir the mix as bit and make sure it’s combined (don’t worry if mixture is a bit lumpy)
Whip the egg whites to stiff peak - by separating the eggs you will get super light pancakes.
Fold the egg whites into the batter.






Grease a large skillet or a griddle (I use the spray…easy and you don’t need to use butter)

Pour the pancake mix on to the skillet/griddle using an ice cream scooper or ladle. At this point you can add topping on the pancake, don’t try to add then to the batter, they will sink to the bottom of the bowl.










That way you can have as many topping that you want, and it will make you kid happy – they can chose from a verity (somehow my son always goes to chocolate and peanut butter).
 When the pancake start showing bubbles on top and the edges look dry you can flip them (about a minute for each side).












Eat warm or freeze them.

Enjoy!

** you can substitute the milk with coconut milk; it gives the pancake a slight coconuty flavor**  

So Here is Lily,Enjoying my Pancakes.do you need more than that ?



Thinking about pancake makes me hungry now, to bad it’s Passover ...
I Want to Print This

0 comments:

Post a Comment